History of the College
Sprawling in a 4,653.7- hectare land reservation, 19 -kilometer’s from Kabankalan City, Negros Occidental and 17-kilometers from the town of Mabinay , Oriental Negros, the Central Philippines State University (CPSU) is dubbed as the 1st Agricultural Institution in the country establish by a Filipino Superintendent in the name of Professor Jose F. Crisanto immediately after World War II. CPSU is located in the heart of Negros Island 108 kilometers from Bacolod City, Negros Occidental and 97 kilometers from Dumaguete City, Oriental Negros in the Southeast.
The colourful history of CPSU started when House bill No. 396 was introduced by Hon. Congressman Carlos Hilado, and co-authored by Congressman Limasiaco , Medina , Formilleza , Nietes and Arnold for the purpose of establishing one agricultural school in Negros Occidental of the Central Luzon Agricultural School type. One of the immediate missions of the school was to hasten economic development of the country which was in the process of reconstruction by training the youth in scientific agriculture. House bill no. 396 had ripened into Republic Act No. 43 that officially created the and NEGROS OCCIDENTAL NATIONAL AGRICULTURAL SCHOOL (NONAS) on October 2, 1946. It became operational on August 1 of the following year.
Had an Act No. 74 of the US Phil. Commission of 1901 been implemented as planned and approved, NONAS should have been the first three school in the Philippines during the American regime namely: Philippine Normal School of Arts and Traders in Luzon and agricultural school in Negros Island. The first two school are not Philippines respectively, while the agricultural school supposed to have been established in the island of Negros was not realized due to unknown reasons.
The school was converted to NEGROS OCCIDENTAL AGRICULTURAL COLLEGE by virtue of Presidential Authority on September 6, 1977 NONAS has served the pioneering students for 31 years from 1946 – 1977 while NOAC steadfastly , turned out both college and high school graduates for 24 years prior to its conversion to NSCA.
NOAC then was converted into state college known as the Negros State College of Agriculture (NSCA) by virtue of R.A. 9141 date July 3, 2001. Hon. Congressman Genaro “Lim-ao” Alvarez, Jr. of the 6th District of Negros Occidental sponsored House Bill No. 9873 which was co-authored by Hon. Congressman Cojuangco, Montemayor, Montilla, Teodoro and Villar and the Congresswoman Marcos and Villaneuva in the House of Representatives. In the Senate Hon. Senator Juan Ponce Enrile was the first to file Senate Bill No. 1920 which followed by Hon. Senator Loren Legarda Livestre who also filed Senate Bill No. 1927 all taking into consideration House Bill No. 9873. Finally, Hon. Senators Tessie Aquino-Oreta and John H. Osmeña filed Senate Bill No. 2263 in substitution of the Senate earlier introduced by Senators Enrile and Legarda-Leviste.
To Co-sponsors of the Senate Bill No. 2263 were Senators Biazon , Flavier , Jaworski, Magsaysay, Ople, Pimentel , Revilla , Roco , Sotto , and Tatad. Its conversion was meant ti maintain, strengthen and expand the originally of lifted expertise of NOAC by creating five Extension campuses. Four (4) of which had already been opened in the City of Sipalay and the Municipalities of Cauayan , Ilog , and Candoni for the six years. The proposed campus of Hinoba-an is waiting for their opening by the beginning of the next school year when funds become available.
Today, CPSU main campus is traversed by an all-weather national highway and accessible to regular buses and jeepneys plying Bacolod via Kabankalan City in the occidental sides and Dumaguete City via the Municipality of Mabinay in the oriental side. It can also be reached from various points in Negos either by air through Bacolod City to Dumaguete City airports or by sea through regular fast crafts and ships at any point in the Visayas. NSCA has been attracting students not only from the different towns in Negros but also from the neighboring island provinces in the Western Visayas Region. Its agricultural programs and constantly drawn clients who wish to acquire appropriate technology and skills for productive, decent and gainful living.